Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Still figuring out my project

I had a good meeting today with my mentors, Jeff and Brad. Originally we were going to go over my IRB, but then, because that's so complicated and I need to revise it again, I decided just to talk to them about the project itself and how to be more specific about it narrow my gaze on what it is exactly that I will be doing. My biggest problem has been trying to come up with the question that I want to answer. Jeff asked me what it was that drew my attention to this story in the first place. I explained to him that I thought it was impressive, compared to the rest of the world, what Tibetans and Indians are achieving despite their situations and different backgrounds. He helped me transform and translate this into the simple question of, "Is it possible for people to get along?" More specific to this project the question could be, "Is it possible for Indians and Tibetans to get along, and if so, how?" but I want the audience to evaluate more than just Indians and Tibetans. I want them to evaluate the question for themselves. Can we get along with others, and what is necessary in order to do this? Somehow I feel like this helps me determine the route and direction of my film.

From there we talked a little more specifically about my method/story/style. I want to make the film more character based rather than issue based, so I want to choose just a few individuals to really focus on and have other people more as informants of the different opinions of the general population. Here is a very brief outline of what I am thinking for the story:

Exposition: Why are Tibetans in India? What is the situation?
Conflict: What are all the things that can and/or are going wrong between Tibetans and Indians?
Resolution: What are Tibetans and Indians doing to resolve or prevent these conflicts? Why and how is this done? Will it work?

Hopefully this helps. Also I have shortened my proposed film length from 30 minutes to 10 minutes.

I am hoping that all these things in mind will help me to have a better view of what I am doing, and to help me write more specific proposals for my project. I am also very thankful for my mentors' help and wish I would have had this meeting two months ago :(

1 comment:

  1. It's great to have faculty mentors who can be so helpful in thinking through a project approach.

    ReplyDelete