Monday, February 28, 2011

Humility

I have been learning a lot about humility lately (from our reading and in church yesterday), and I have decided that it is a very important quality to possess. Elder Uchdorf I feel gives a perfect example of what humility really is. He says, humility is not thinking less of ourselves; it's thinking less about ourselves.

Sometimes when I feel I am getting too prideful, I resort to looking down on myself and my weaknesses, in attempt to eliminate my pride. But this way of thinking may just as well be another form of pride. I am still thinking and worrying about myself, as opposed to thinking about others. Humility and service seem to go hand in hand. If you are constantly thinking of others and looking for ways to serve others, you will be thinking less about yourself, and therefore become more humble.

It will be very important with my project to make sure I have a sense of humility about me as I attempt to get to know people enough to make a film about them. I should be careful not to expect anyone to help me just because of who I am and what I'm doing in India. Hopefully people will not only help me, but I will find ways to help them also. If I am willing to serve, or even take the initiative, people will probably be more willing to help me in return. But even as I am in the process of making the film, I need to make sure my focus is on the people and what they are saying or doing, and not on me, and how I will put these people into a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment