Monday, January 24, 2011

Questions (continued)

In an earlier entry I talked about the kinds of questions I would need to ask in order to tell my story; not just questions that I have, but questions that my audience will have. Here I will provide a list of some questions that will help to set up and tell the story:

1. Where is this story taking place?
- This is something I know, but not something that most audiences would not know if they were simply to hear the name "Mcleod Ganj" or "Dharam Sala". (And I'm not even sure how to spell those, so that's something I should probably learn.
- A simple way to answer this question for a viewing audience would be to show the location on a map; maybe even a google maps video zooming in on the location from a broader view.

2. Who lives in Mcleod Ganj?
- I will need to establish that there are both Tibetans and Indians living in Mcleod Ganj.

3. Why are their Tibetans in India?
- Before preparing for this field study, I knew nothing of Tibet's flee from Tibet to India and their current refuge there. I am sure some people know why there are Tibetans in India, but I am assuming that the majority of people do not know the backstory to this.
- To answer this question I will need to go into a little more depth. This is something I can probably reveal through interviews with the people of Mcleod Ganj. It would be great to hear the personal story of someone who came directly from Tibet (as opposed to being born in Mcleod Ganj). It would also be interesting to hear the Tibetan's story from the perspective of an Indian living in or near Mcleod Ganj when the Tibetan's started coming to live there.
- I will not want to focus too much of my film's attention on how the Tibetan's came to Mcleod Ganj, but it is still an interesting and important part of the story.

4. What are the differences between Tibetans and Indians?
- This is a very large question and one that I do not know all the answers to yet. Explaining this question will probably take a decent chunk of my film although it will hopefully be mixed in with other details instead of explained all at once.
- Some differences that would be good to look at may include: Culture (that's a very broad one), religion, work, family and community relationships, education, and probably a lot more
- As I do research I will need to come up with more specific questions and methods to show the differences between Tibetans and Indians

5. Do Tibetans and Indians get along? Do they interact? Do they avoid each other? In what ways have Tibetans helped Indians? In what ways have Indians helped Tibetans? What conflicts have risen between the two?
- These questions are now much closer to the main question of my project. This is something I can research to some extent, but a lot of the answers will come from observation in the field.
- Hopefully I will be able to focus most of my time trying to answer these questions.

These are some of the basic questions that I feel are necessary to answer for this project. Please, anyone reading, if there are important questions that you feel you or an audience would like to have answered in regards to my project, whether they be something I skipped over or something that would work in addition, please post your suggestions below.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. One question I still have is why India decided to let the Tibetans come into their country, and why they have continued to host them on such a long-term basis. I don't know how central the answer to that question will be to your finished film, but it's key aspect of "why Tibetans are in India" that I don't personally understand myself.

    Who are you imagining your audience to be at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's a great question, Jay, and definitely relevant to the story. In the interest of my film, answering that question is probably one of the most important parts to understanding why Tibetans are in India. From what I've studied, a lot of it is political of course, but I'd also like to study any personal or smaller group reasons that Indians in or around Mcleod Ganj were willing to give the town to incoming Tibetan refugees (or if they weren't willing). Thanks, Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some awesome questions here! I anticipate you will come up with hours and hours and hours of more footage than you will need, and that you will never really be able to get all the information across. Have you thought about how you will triage all the information/footage you gather? Obviously you have your main research question, I guess as you continue to read/think/interview/work you'll be able to see how much information is really necessary, and how important it is to focus on the ppl who help each other and why. I think your project is going to be awesome. What are you going to do with it when you are finished? Will you show it to the people you actually film? What issues of privacy do you think you will deal with? I know Nephi had some specific things he had to do in his filma to preserve ppl's identity, but I don't know anything of the specific circumstances. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete