Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Questions in Storytelling

My question: Will Tibetans and Indians help each other to improve their situations, or will they grow apart, segregating themselves from one another?

Because of the nature of a field "study", we have been focusing intensely on how to prepare for and do research. However, in making a film I would like my project not only to be research, but more importantly to tell a story.

Questions are important in storytelling because when read a story or watch a film, we are constantly asking ourselves, "What will happen to this character", "Will the character succeed?" "Will the character fail?", "Will they get what they want?" or perhaps more importantly, "Will they get what they need?"

We have also talked about the importance of questions in research. The purpose of research is to answer a question. If there is no question to answer, there is not much point in doing research.

I need to have a question that can satisfy research as well as an interesting story. It can't be just any question, because if the question is not interesting, the research and story it creates will likewise not be interesting. It needs to be something in which there are stakes at hand, in which the audience wants the answer to be one thing, but fears it may be another way. If the audience doesn't care which way things will go, then it doesn't much matter to tell them.

My question I have currently developed may not be perfect or complete just yet, but I hope that it will point me in a direction that can tell an interesting story. From what I have researched and heard from other people, there are both good and bad relationships between Tibetans and Indians, but also there are just "non-relationships" or the avoidance of relationships. However, many Indians and Tibetans may have also found ways to serve and help one another. I hope that the study of my question will cause my audience to hope for good relationships between the Tibetans and Indians, but fear their separation or segregation from each other.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to think about the role questions play in telling a story, in finding or developing a narrative.

    ReplyDelete