Sunday, January 30, 2011

Story Idea

I've been thinking a lot about what I want the story of my film to be, and how I can tell that story.  Today I was thinking about it, and took a different approach, thinking: What story would I tell if I were making a fiction film about the same subject and theme?

The idea I had was to have two specific characters, an Indian and a Tibetan; the Tibetan comes into India from Tibet in search of refuge and comes into contact with the Indian who helps him get his feet on the ground and start a new life in India. As time goes by, the Tibetan becomes well established, but the Indian runs into hard times. But, the Tibetan, remembering the charity of his Indian friend is now able to turn around and give back to his friend.

This obviously is very basic for a fiction film idea, but for a documentary it is a great start. Before I was thinking about looking at Tibetans and Indians as more of a whole, or a community as opposed to individuals, but I think if I found a couple really great individuals to follow, it could make the story much more personal and touching to the audience.

What I am thinking is that I could find an Indian who helped Tibetans coming into Mcleod Ganj and is now being helped in one way or another by the Tong-Len Charitable Trust Organization (maybe his child goes to one of their schools). It may take a little searching to find the right person, but I don't think it would be too hard to fit into this category. Then, if this person knows personally any Tibetan working for the Tong-Len Organization, this person could become my Tibetan character.

Things may not work out perfectly, but I think that if I can take this route, and focus on just a small handful of individuals, it will make the film much more powerful.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! I actually made a movie last semester (I'm an amateur, though, and it wasn't fabulous) of an interview with my Tibetan friend Norbu. My professor told me several times that he was really touched by my movie. I'm really excited to see what you can do since you're much better than me at this movie business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's cool. I'd be interested in seeing your movie. Is it posted anywhere online?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've studied anything like this, but are there ways of ensuring that you aren't forcing the story in your head on people and events that don't quite fit? That was an issue I struggled with (I still struggle with) writing "creative nonfiction." I feel a lot of discomfort taking on the role of a cultural interpreter, but there are a lot of respected writers who don't have the same problem. I'm just curious if you've come across any dialog in the world of film on those kinds of issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masked Mallard. I ask myself the same question sometimes. Based on my research thus far (specifically examining a Tibetan charity foundation) I am fairly confident that I will be able to find people who will fit into this story. However, I wouldn't want to force anybody into these roles if they truly didn't fit them. I'm studying film right now at BYU and what I've been taught multiple times is to go in with a story all prepared, but to also be prepared to change the story if your plan doesn't fit what is actually happening.

    ReplyDelete